Executive Head Chef (m/f/d)
We are looking for a dynamic, experienced chef to join our friendly and dedicated team of 30 Food Services staff at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory Campus in Heidelberg. For the right person we offer a friendly and rewarding career, generous pay and paid weekend overtime.
The EMBL Food Services (Canteen, Cafeteria and Event catering) currently serves 800 to 900 meals daily, taking into account the international background of the customers coming from approx. 60 nations. Lunch and snacks can be purchased with the means of a rechargeable lunch-card. The Canteen menu is international and consists of vegetarian, meat and fish dishes as well as several side dishes, most of which are freshly prepared and some of which are prepared using "front cooking". Catering is provided for courses and conferences run at EMBL’s Advanced Training Centre as well as internal meetings and social events.
As Executive Head Chef, you will be responsible for ensuring sustained quality standards and operational costs by effectively managing the kitchen. The role will work closely with the Head of department to ensure the delivery of culinary excellence.
The responsibilities of the Executive Chef will be as follows:
- Ensuring the food and presentation are of the highest possible standard across all aspects of the catering operation;
- Working with the Head of department to develop new and innovative menu ideas across the site;
- Proactive, hands on management of the kitchen Responsible for assisting the Head of department and HR department in recruiting, supporting, training and people development to deliver an efficient, high-quality service to EMBL, employees, visitors and customers;
- Accountable for ensuring ongoing team communications, including building internal and external relationships, management reporting and client liaison to enable operational excellence;
- Responsible for ensuring that at the highest level of customer service are communicated and embedded within the catering team;
- Accountable for maintaining, ordering and controlling food stocks within budget;
- Accountable for innovative menu and event planning and design of food service within specified budgets ensuring high standards of food presentation and portion/quality control;
- Support the Head of department in creating a platform for financial progress through cost control and culinary experience;
- Accountable for COSHH, Food Safety, H&S, legal regulations, environmental policies and duty of care to customers and colleagues
- Organize the daily routine in a highly frequented business canteen;
- Plan and organize the event catering;
- Support the recruitment, teaching and monitoring of apprentices;
- Keep administration work up to date including issuing and controlling of invoice, work schedule, monitor absences of staff, deliver facts and figures in a timely manner to administrative departments within EMBL, help with statistics and reports budget forecast;
- Manage small repair and maintenance work;
- Build good relationships and cooperation with other EMBL departments such as; Health & Safety, Course & Conference Office, Kindergarten, ISG Hotel, etc;
- Liaise with cleaning company
The Executive Chef reports to the Head of department.
You might also have
- Previous relevant work experience gained in an international environment is advantageous
What else you need to know
We are Europe’s research laboratory for the life sciences – an intergovernmental organisation performing scientific research in disciplines including molecular biology, physics, chemistry and computer science. We are an international, innovative and interdisciplinary laboratory with more than 1900 employees from many nations, operating across six sites, in Heidelberg (HQ), Barcelona, Hinxton near Cambridge, Hamburg, Grenoble and Rome.
Please note that appointments on fixed-term contracts can be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of the review, up to a maximum of 9 years.
If you feel you have the right skills and experience, please apply online submitting your CV and cover letter.
For questions or issues with the application process, please contact email@example.com
Closing date: 16 October 2023
Bitte beziehen Sie sich bei Ihrer Bewerbung auf www.jobsterne.de - vielen Dank!